Locos & Carriages


Carriages - South Australia



PASSENGER CARRIAGES

Also known as 'Long Toms', introduced onto Peterborough division of South Australian Railways between 1911 and 1920.
36 were built at the Islington Railway Workshops near Adelaide.


Technical information: length 50'0", (in contrast to the 'Short Toms' of 31'6"), ground loading end-platforms protected by canopies, a Mansard type roof and centrally placed lavatory compartments. During overhaul 1936-38 the lavatories were moved to the ends of the carriages leaving 6 compartments with a narrow corridor along one side. When standard gauge rail operations were introduced between Port Pirie and Broken Hill these carriages became surplus, and were offered to Zig Zag arriving in 1975-76. They were the operating fleet until the Evans cars were acquired.

RSA 303
Muturoo (Aboriginal name meaning "A place to get food", and a locality 37 miles NE of Olary), currently painted blue and cream.

Technical information: length 16.7m, width 2.45m, steel underframe, 4 wheel bogies, originally 2 compartments, seating for 60 2nd class passengers. Built in the Islington Workshops in 1920, cost $5,627. Mansard roof, end platform. Restored with one end converted to a servery, seating approximately 30. Part of the Blue Train.


SAR 390
Yanyarrie (Aboriginal name meaning "Eagle Feathers") end platform carriage. Built in 1889 at Adelaide as an 18 berth 1st class sleeper. It mostly ran between Adelaide and Broken Hill. Named Yanyarrie in 1917. In 1953 was rebuilt as 1st class day car. Bought by Zig Zag 1970, arrived ZZR 1975. Painted blue and cream. Now a 28 seat dining car, part of Blue Train.

Technical information: originally 1st class sleeper, with 18 berths in 5 or 6 compartments, 3 toilets, steel underframed, 6 wheel bogies, end platform. Built in the Adelaide Locomotive Works, 1889, cost $4,515. Altered in 1953 to 1st class coach 25 seat car, fitted with swivel reclining chairs and a new body. Length 14.290m, width 2.410m. It was bought by a member and later donated to the railway. 50' long, 8' wide and 11' high. Restored as part of the Blue Train.

SA 302
Constance, blue/cream, restored 2005 as part of the Blue Train. Built in 1912 as a first class carriage. In 1919 it became a first-class saloon car. Carpets, wicker chairs and small round tables were provided in this role. In 1938 it was converted back to its original layout. In 1942 a body swap was carried out. 302's body was placed on the underframe of broad-gauge car 494. 494's body was put on the narrow-gauge underframe of 302 - this was to enable 302 to become a ward car in a hospital train. At the end of the war 302's body and frame were reunited and it was sent out with the same seating arrangements as its sister carriages as a second class carriage. It was withdrawn from service in 1970 and bought by ZZR in 1974. Painted blue and cream. Restored 2005 as part of the blue train.

Technical information: length 16.7m, width 2.45m, steel underframe, 4 wheel bogies, originally 2 compartments, seating for 32 1st class passengers.

Yanyarrie, Muturoo, AAS 1231, AL 540 and IHO 1281
Are used for special services under the name of 'Zig Zag Railway Blue Train'.