Equipment Wanted & Disposals
Diesel Shunting Locomotive - Mt. Lyell - V13
Loco V13 / Mt. LyellMt Lyell, V13, 0-6-0, built by Drewry Car Co. at Vulcan Foundry,
Newton-le-Willows, Lancashire, England, 1953, construction number 2406/D194. 204 HP (152 Kw) Drewry Diesel locomotive.
The class was introduced 1948 for general shunting in yards. They were identical with Tasmanian Government Railway V class. Bought by Mt. Lyell Mining Co, 1953. Sold to Tasmanian Government Railways in 1964, where it became V13, and covered 88,072 miles.
The sister locomotive was sold to Emu Bay Railway and became #22. It was sold into private ownership in 1986 where it was intended to remove the Gardner 8L3 engine to power a boat.
Bought by ZZR in 1991, it was named Mt. Lyell, converted from vacuum to airbrake and hook and buffer couplings. It was used for shunting with occasional passenger work. It was a popular locomotive with members as it ran well.
In March 2001 it was sold to the ABT Railway - Mt. Lyell Mining and Railway Company, successors to the Mt. Lyell Railway. The ABT Railway is being rebuilt with grant aid.
Technical Data. Weight: 25.6 tonnes. Length: 22'6" (6.85m), height: 12'0" (3.7m), width 8'6" (2.6m). Fuel capacity 225 gallons, 24V system.Axle Load: 8.5 tons (8.63 tonnes). Air brake on Loco. As manufactured it was fitted with 2" vacuum system. Converted from vacuum to air train brake at Zig Zag. Gardner 8L3 engine, compression ignition oil (diesel) engine developing max. 204 bhp (152 kW) at 1,200 rpm through a Vulcan Sinclair hydraulic coupling, (Size 23) embodied in the engine flywheel, whence through a Wilson 5 speed (CA) epicyclic gearbox and a jackshaft-mounted reverser and reduction gear unit, which provided 5 speeds in either direction. Max speed: 30 mph (48 kph). For more information see "An Australian Diesel Locomotive Pocketbook" by Peter J. Clark, page 118.
Queensland Rail SX Carriages
Queensland SX carriages Following the December 1997 bushfire, the Zig Zag Railway bought set No. 50 of Queensland Rail SX carriages. They were stainless steel clad and designed in the 1950s to be hauled behind steam locomotives. Later conversion to electric traction was envisaged, and they had a driver’s cab (without equipment) and provision for headlight and destination rolls. Conversion never occurred. The carriages were 'walk through', had power operated sliding doors, controlled by the guard. Nos: SX 1741, 1742, 1743, 1744, 1745, capacity 56 passengers, weight 23.7 tons, Nos: SXV 1697, 1746, with guard's compartment, capacity 40 passengers. Dimensions of both types: 55' 6'' long, 9'4" wide, 12' 6" high, weight 23 tons, built 1962-63. These carriages were sold to Auckland Regional Council, New Zealand in January 2003.
No. 11 - Kemira
0-6-0 mine loco, built by Malcolm Moore, Pty, Ltd. for Drewry Car Co. Ltd., Gardner 8L3 diesel engine, restored 1991 by Zig Zag Railway, with higher cab, used for hauling works train. Donated by BHP in1987. Cab raised by Zig Zag for better visibility.
0-6-0 mine loco, donated by BHP in 1994, Gardner 8L3 diesel engine, converted to high cab similar to No. 11.
0-6-0 mine loco, donated by BHP, 1991, Gardner 8L3 diesel engine.
0-6-0 mine loco, donated by BHP, in 1991. Gardner 8L3 diesel engine, engine.
203, 204, 350 Low Wagons formed a works train for carrying tools and equipment around the site, collecting deliveries from Clarence, hauled by one of the mine locomotives. Donated by BHP, 1988.