BOTTOM POINTS TO CLARENCE, RETURN – 1hr 45 minutes
YOU ARE ARRIVING AT ZIG ZAG RAILWAY BY ELECTRIC TRAIN
- Check the Blue Mountains Line timetable to co-ordinate the best train to catch – make sure you select Weekends & Public Holidays.
- On weekends when there is no trackwork, the electric train from Sydney is scheduled to arrive 11 minutes before our steam train departure – this is OK, if you have pre-booked tickets we know you are coming and unless the electric train is running very late – we will wait for you.
- You need to ride in the very last carriage of the electric train as only the very last door fits on the small platform at ‘Zig Zag‘ station. You must ask the guard at Mt Victoria station to stop the train at Zig Zag.
- The small NSW Trainlink intercity platform is not suitable for people using wheelchairs due to access being by stairs. There are no ramps. If you are unable to navigate stairs you will not be able to leave the platform, and you should only book Zig Zag Railway tickets for services departing Clarence.
- The electric trains should have toilets on them, there is not much time between getting off the electric train and onto our steam train – so consider using the toilets on the train before getting off.
- Alight your NSW Trainlink intercity electric service at ‘Zig Zag’ station platform beside our locomotive depot and walk 5 minutes up to our Bottom Points station platform.
- Check in and board our heritage steam train, note: seats will be limited so you may not be able to sit with your group on the trip up the hill
- Depart Bottom Points and travel to Top Points where the locomotive will run around the carriages (10-15 minutes)
- The train will then proceed to Clarence where the locomotive will again run around the carriages in preparation to return back down the hill (approx. 30 minutes except for the last trip)
- There is a Cafe & souvenir shop at Clarence Station, the train will normally leave at half past the hour (except for the last trip of the day).
- When ready, the train will depart Clarence for Bottom Points with another 10-15 minute stop at Top Points.
- Leave the Bottom Points precinct by walking 5 minutes down to the NSW Trainlink intercity electric Zig Zag platform beside our locomotive depot – don’t forget to tap on with your Opal or Credit Card.
- Please check the Blue Mountains Line timetable to understand the wait at ‘Zig Zag‘ station for the next intercity electric train as there can be lengthy gaps between weekend services. There is no phone reception at Bottom Points or Zig Zag stations, our volunteers can assist calling Lithgow Taxis (02) 6351 3305 if you wish to take a taxi into Lithgow
- Have more questions before booking, check out our FAQ page
2023 running dates
NOTE: Tickets from Bottom Points station may not be available if track work is scheduled on the electric train line. If you have already booked tickets and track work is scheduled, we will attempt to contact you to either: 1) reschedule your journey with us 2) rebook your service from Clarence Station as the replacement bus service stops adjacent to our car park. When NSW Trainlink schedule trackwork, you need to check the trackwork information, and consider whether you might be better off rescheduling your trip to another weekend when there is no trackwork. On trackwork weekends it may not be possible to connect with Zig Zag Railway services without extended waiting times and/or missed connections.