The Emu Bay Railway Company in Tasmania purchased a new diesel-hydraulic locomotive from England in 1953 with the intention of replacing steam locomotives. However, after a period of service on the mainline between Burnie and the West Coast it was deemed that the design was not entirely suitable for mainline work. The company then placed an order for three diesel-hydraulic locomotives from Tulloch Limited in NSW, however the order was eventually filled by Walkers Ltd Maryborough in 1963. Unlike the earlier acquisition, these proved to be very successful and three years after the initial delivery, a fourth unit was constructed by the Tasmanian Government Railways in Launceston.
All locomotives were placed into storage in Burnie during June 2000 following closure of the Hellyer mine and offered for sale in 2001.